Copywriter | Editor | Social Media Manager
Master of Arts, Journalism and Mass Communication*
University of Wisconsin-Madison (May 2006)
Emphasis: Investigative Reporting. Participated in a murder investigation with the UW Law School’s Innocence Project. Also completed several courses in the UW Engineering School’s technical writing program including advanced document (user manual) editing, and web design. Interned on the Wisconsin State Journal copy and feature desks while enrolled at UW.
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism
University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (January 2004)
Emphasis: News/Editorial. Coursework included newswriting, copyediting, photography, advanced reporting, media law, ethics, history, advertising and media research. Served as editor-in-chief of Advance-Titan newspaper (Pacemaker award-winner).
Relevant Work Experience
October 2018 – Current
Digital Communications Specialist, National Conference of Bar Examiners
- Created and implemented NCBE’s first social media campaign and strategy
- Helped create new website for NCBE’s Testing Task Force, testingtaskforce.com, and the Next Generation Bar Exam, nextgenbarexam.ncbex.org.
- Created and executive digital marketing strategy for the launch of NCBE’s new study aids program
- Develops Google Analytics quarterly reports for NCBE’s websites and manages Google Ad campaigns
- Collaborates with outside PR counsel and communications team to execute new digital communication strategies
December 2014-October 2018
Content Manager, UW-Madison Engineering Professional Development
- Implemented digital content strategy and editorial calendar for the launch of the new EPD website, epd.wisc.edu
- Implemented EPD’s first-ever social media strategy
- Managed the transition of content from the old EPD site to the new EPD site, including writing course descriptions for existing professional development short courses, landing pages, news pages, and other areas as needed.
- Managed digital campaign and PR for UW-Madison professor James Tinjum’s “Bike the Wind” and “Bike the Sun” solar projects.
October 2010-December 2014
Marketing Communications Specialist, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Worked closely with Chief Marketing Officer to assist with the management of association communications, including public relations and marketing. Collaborated with outside public relations agencies to fulfill company’s strategic goals surrounding consumer awareness. www.yoursmilebecomesyou.com. Helped execute AACD’s first makeover contest, The Smile Story Contest.
- Managed and wrote copy for print and online marketing campaigns surrounding AACD’s annual meeting and member benefits including content for AACD’s bimonthly membership publication, Academy Connection, and weekly e-newsletter, eUpdate. Managed AACD’s email marketing campaigns, with open rates hovering above 20% in most cases. Helped manage media relations with national and major consumer media outlets, resulting in placements in Vogue, the New York Times, Washington Post, New Beauty, and others. Assisted with research to track trends in the cosmetic dental industry. Increased AACD’s visibility through social media like Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. Helped AACD’s graphics and IT department with overall content management strategy for AACD’s website, www.aacd.com.
March 2007- October 2010
Web Assistant Editor, The Credit Union National Association (Madison, Wis.)
- Wrote and edited content for CUNA’s online daily newspaper, News Now, including a series of three in-depth articles on credit unions and the challenges and concerns of using social networking to market to potential and current credit union members.
- Covered events and speakers at CUNA’s annual Governmental Affairs Conference in Washington, D.C., through live-blogging and photography. Accompanied various credit union groups as they met with constituents on Capitol Hill to generate content for stories appearing in News Now and other CUNA publications.
September 2006 – March 2007
Intern, Cramer-Krasselt Public Relations (Milwaukee, Wis.)
- Engaged in media outreach by writing press releases, pitching stories to newspaper editors, tracking media coverage, and creating media lists on behalf of the company’s largest clients, Johnson Controls and Kohl’s Corp.